Adding More Tools to Posts and Original Posts

JayWood2010Jay Wood
  • 22 Mar '16

We were thinking about using Spirit as a base start to our forum, but when I was looking through the community on here I noticed that the tools for users to us to make their threads as nice as possible is kind of lacking. It is missing things like bullets, numbering, left align, right align, center align, YouTube Embedding, and Underline to name a few.

I was curious if we could add these in ourselves? Or is it included in the package and just not in the community posts?

Also, while I'm requesting features, what about a view counter for each thread? Are we able to add that in too?

Another small feature that I'd like and I'm not sure if it does this, but when another user quotes you, the grey quote line should be another color signifying that a user quoted your comment. As an example, the grey bar would be light green or some other color depending on what you wanted it to be.

• 22 Mar '16

Hi Jay,

Spirit is not missing some of these, that you mentioned. It uses the so called github-flavoured markdown. Read more about it here: Markdown Cheatsheet
It's actually easier and more intuitive than the BB syntax.
Bullet lists for example can be created by using minus-sign as follows:

- List item 1
- List item 2
- List item 3

And it will look like this:

• List item 1
  • List item 2
  • List item 3

Bold, italic, striked-through text is also possible. YouTube videos can be embedded by just inserting the video URL in a new line, see it here: Embedding YouTube & Vimeo

JayWood2010Jay Wood
  • 22 Mar '16

@antario said:
Hi Jay,

Spirit is not missing some of these, that you mentioned. It uses the so called github-flavoured markdown. Read more about it here: Markdown Cheatsheet
It's actually easier and more intuitive than the BB syntax.
Bullet lists for example can be created by using minus-sign as follows:

- List item 1
- List item 2
- List item 3

And it will look like this:

• List item 1
  • List item 2
  • List item 3

Bold, italic, striked-through text is also possible. YouTube videos can be embedded by just inserting the video URL in a new line, see it here: Embedding YouTube & Vimeo

Ahh, thank you! that helps a lot, though I'd personally like them as icons for tools. No big deal though.

What about my other questions like coloring quotes and a view counter?

• 22 Mar '16

In my best knowledge, those are not implemented.

JayWood2010Jay Wood
  • 22 Mar '16

@antario Is that something I'd be able to implement myself? Or does Spirit come as is?

• 22 Mar '16

Spirit is open-source, if you have knowledge of Python and the django framework, you can implement it for yourself.

JayWood2010Jay Wood
  • 22 Mar '16

@antario said:
Spirit is open-source, if you have knowledge of Python and the django framework, you can implement it for yourself.

That's all I needed to know :) Thank you very much for all your help.

nitelyEsteban Castro Borsani
  • 22 Mar '16

what about a view counter for each thread? Are we able to add that in too?

If you have some coding knowledge, you should be able to display the view counter. There is one (within the TopicModel) it's just not being displayed anywhere (and it probably won't ever be). I'm guessing it's still there coz I didn't make my mind about removing it or showing it.

Another small feature that I'd like and I'm not sure if it does this, but when another user quotes you, the grey quote line should be another color signifying that a user quoted your comment. As an example, the grey bar would be light green or some other color depending on what you wanted it to be.

You will have to override the CSS style, there is a discussion about how to make this a bit easier. But for really simple things like this is may be worth to add a CSS form field within the admin.

• 26 Jun '16

Can we use ckeditor instead of markdown to ease writer problems ? One more thing, I noticed there is a problem with image attachment with amazon s3 buckets, is there any problem with storage buckets ?

• 26 Jun '16

Can we use ckeditor instead of markdown to ease writer problems ?

Not really. I like the current one. There are many WYSIWYG markdown editors out there: hallo (pretty similar to ckeditor), lepture-editor, simplemde, etc, even ckeditor has an addon/plugin if you like it so much. But if you replace the default editor you will have to re-implement all the extra features (image upload, emojis, code preview, polls, any future feature) Spirit has.

Edit: actually, I think a WYSIWYG (ie: Hallo) could be integrated within the preview mode (and add an option to make the preview mode the default one), I probably won't do it, but may be someone else will.

One more thing, I noticed there is a problem with image attachment with amazon s3 buckets, is there any problem with storage buckets ?

Yep, the form does not use the Django file-upload API, it writes the image directly to the disk. I'll fix it, it's in my to-do list.

• 26 Jun '16

That was fast, instead of manually writing the image file to disk , why dont you use a model with just one field imageField
class UploadedFile(models.Model):
file = models.ImageField(upload_to='spirit/images')
and by registering with admin, even you can delete the images which are un-necessary, would you accept that if i send you a pull request

• 26 Jun '16

I think a regular form is the way to go. There will be too many images to do any kind of manual work so I would not recommend handle it that way.

PS: Spirit does not uses django's admin.

This comment was deleted.