How to modify the website UI

• 31 May

Where can i find the base.html file to make frontend and content changes? there are way too many files and can i have the file structure of all the static and html files?

Can I apply community bootstrap themes to the example website directly?

Also do you know any implementations of spirit project and is also FOSS so I can develop on it rather than the default example?

nitelyEsteban Castro Borsani
  • 31 May

Where can i find the base.html file to make frontend and content changes?

The base html is within the core app [0]. The way to override templates in Django is creating templates dir in the project root and overriding other apps there. For example to override the _base.html you would create this MyPoject/templates/spirit/_base.html.

Another way is to create a custom app (i.e: spirit_custom) and then override the template there like this spirit_custom/templates/spirit/_base.html and then add the custom app before the spirit app in settings.INSTALLED_APPS.

I don't quite remember if the first option still works out of the box, tho.

there are way too many files and can i have the file structure of all the static and html files?

Because of DRY. Every app has their own templates. The templates starting with underscore are meant to be used either by inheritance or composition, so any change apply to every section that use them.

Can I apply community bootstrap themes to the example website directly?

I guess. It would mean a full rewrite of the UI, tho.

Also do you know any implementations of spirit project and is also FOSS so I can develop on it rather than the default example?

Nop. This community is based on the example project.

[0] https://github.com/nitely/Spirit/tree/master/spirit/core/templates/spirit

• 1 Jun

Thanks a lot. I will probably have to write my own UI