Are you planning to use Spirit?

4na4silvestris
  • 17 Aug '14

Spirit works as it should but still miss some minor features. At which stage you're planning to give it a try? What stops you from setting up and running it?

Your comments and suggestions are welcome.

• 18 Aug '14

I'm planning to use Spirit and build a salary forum for https://salaryfairy.com

The main roadblock for me was that Spirit is using its own AUTH_USER_MODEL. I really don't want to migrate my user table. The old way of joining with a profile table is so much better for a project in production. I'm OK with the extra join. As is, Spirit is not plug and play and that is inhibiting wider adoption in my opinion. As a hack/solution, I removed/replaced references to extra fields in the user table. Another minor issue was that I had to make changes to some overrides in styles.css to conform to my own design (body padding, row etc.). Also, content tag for template blocks conflicts with my own content tag. It might have helped if it was named something like spirit_content, so that I could just plug spirit content into my templates with ease. One last thing was the use of tabs for dropdown content (notification, categories, etc.). I changed some of them to be actual dropdowns.

But all of these are minor issues (maybe except the custom user model). Spirit is by far the best django forum app for our purposes.

nitelyEsteban Castro Borsani
  • 18 Aug '14

Awesome @urbandebugger let me know when it's live, I want to see the outcome.

The main roadblock for me was that Spirit is using its own AUTH_USER_MODEL. I really don't want to migrate my user table.

Yep, a bunch of people have raise the same concern. So I just created an app called Spirit-User-Profile which will let you integrate your existing django user to the Spirit user profile.

I may switch to the regular profile extension once Django 1.7 is out. I will think about it.

daiyidaiyi
  • 24 Sep '14

Hello! I just found spirit today, and it's fantastic. I really like that there are private threads as an alternative to PMs, a clean and beautiful interface, and that the project is developed in django! I am trying to convince my board to migrate from phpbb, which is terrible and broken in many ways, but we've been around for 7+ years and most would not do without certain crucial board features:

• posting externally hosted images (I notice you can only upload?)
  • signatures
  • more markup options, such as centering text
  • displaying each forum category visually separated on the frontpage
  • user groups (I know it's not something you've found a use for, but on our board there are hundreds of users and we use it for organizational purposes, for example sending mass-messages to users of a certain interest)
  • custom user profile fields accessible by admins (example: "location", "preferred language")
  • admins have a lot of control

also features that would be awesome but are probably against the current theme aesthetic:

• more markup options, such as colouring text (terrible, I know)
  • showing some user info fields under icon on each individual post
  • installable and/or user-selectable skins/themes

Also, some questions:

• Is the markup language custom-made? If so I suppose I could just expand on that myself.
  • Is there a way to migrate users and posts from other boards? Has it been done before? It feels like such a daunting task D:

I might have to do a test install on a test board to test out admin abilities, because that would be a make-or-break for convincing the current admins to migrate, since no one likes relinquishing power (:

Unrelatedly, this project is amazing and I'm going to look into contributing! I haven't got my hands into open source before but it's something I've wanted to do and now that I've found a project I'm really invested in I think it's time!

• 25 Sep '14

@daiyi

Hello! I just found spirit today, and it's fantastic. I really like that there are private threads as an alternative to PMs, a clean and beautiful interface, and that the project is developed in django! I am trying to convince my board to migrate from phpbb, which is terrible and broken in many ways, but we've been around for 7+ years

I'd love to say go ahead and do it but... don't. You won't ever convince them, and even if you do it, your user base won't ever like the change... there is just too much friction. Spirit (as any other modern forum solution) is awesome for new communities, not so much for the really old ones like yours. I hope you prove me wrong, though

most would not do without certain crucial board features:

• posting externally hosted images (I notice you can only upload?)

You can do both, there is no shortcut for external images... but the markup is ![image name](image url)

• signatures

I'm against this. It only add noise to the topic. But... I may create a plugin in the future.

• more markup options, such as centering text
  • displaying each forum category visually separated on the frontpage
  • user groups (I know it's not something you've found a use for, but on our board there are hundreds of users and we use it for organizational purposes, for example sending mass-messages to users of a certain interest)

I'll make this happen

• custom user profile fields accessible by admins (example: "location", "preferred language")

This is included.

• admins have a lot of control

You will have to try it for yourself I guess...

Also, some questions:

• Is the markup language custom-made? If so I suppose I could just expand on that myself.
  • Is there a way to migrate users and posts from other boards? Has it been done before? It feels like such a daunting task D:

It is not custom made, it is called markdown. It can be expanded.
Currently there is no way to migrate from other forum sofware. It would be possible to migrate users in a kind of dirty way using django-phpBB3. I'll create a more cross platform migration tool at some point, there is just too many things to take care of first.

Unrelatedly, this project is amazing and I'm going to look into contributing! I haven't got my hands into open source before but it's something I've wanted to do and now that I've found a project I'm really invested in I think it's time!

It'll be very appreciated, contributions are always welcome. Love that you love it

• 27 Sep '14

Hello,
Spirit seems very interesting.
I particularly like the fact that it can integrate easily with existing Django website (I haven't understood the explanations about AUTH_USER_MODEL, but I'll have to do it to really understand I suppose).

Am I mistaken or are your forum the only Django forums which is useable on small devices (phone or similar) ?
I was expecting Bootstrap, but it seems to be another CSS that you are using. Anyway it is very nice ! It can be a little improved by making the avatar a little smaller to better use the width space, but anyway it is currently useable.

I volunteer to add the french translation, would you like to register your project in Transifex ? It's free for open source projects and most open source projects are currently using it for translations.

Best wishes for your project !

• 27 Sep '14

Hi @Turtle. Spirit is on transifex, you can volunteer here

This comment was deleted.