multiple forum instances on a single site?

• 20 Aug '14

This question is related to some issues raised by derWalter at

http://community.spirit-project.com/topic/19/my-stream-of-dreams

I teach at a university, and eventually would like various classes each to have an associated "forum" on my academic website. For example, some database table might say which student is registered in which classes, and accordingly permit access to forums/categories/topics (whatever is easiest to implement).

This is perhaps a bit simpler than the private category-related functionality mentioned by Walter, since students in one class would not need access to any forum content accessible to other classes. Instead it would perhaps be enough somehow just to have different forum instances on the same website. Not sure how that would work with the authentication system though. Is some sort of functionality along these lines on the horizon?

Thanks,

Max

nitely
Esteban C Borsani
  • 20 Aug '14

I think private categories is what you want. Every user would register and have access to... nothing (?) or maybe a common area. Then you would have to give this user access to whatever category (class) you want. Maybe he/she can choose what classes is takin at registration time, this would require a plugin since I don't want such functionality in core, but it would be pretty easy to implement once private categories is in place.

Instead it would perhaps be enough somehow just to have different forum instances on the same website. Not sure how that would work with the authentication system though.

User would require to register a new account on every instance, something you probably don't want.

• 20 Aug '14

Ah, I see. That would certainly solve the problem. Well, thanks again for this lovely software. I'm looking forward to watching it develop.