my stream of dreams

D
  • 29 May '14

hey there, love your work!!!

just a few things we could use in our environment would be:

make categories more obvious and accessable.
i just posted this in development, cause i saw the roadmap thread on the first page and
didnt even think to look up in the menu under all categories

it would also be very helpfull if i would see the full path to the sub categorie and
not only the parents name.

the option to use usergroups to give access to certain categories (otherwise those should stay hidden)

it would be nice if there wasnt a limit for child nesting
so if we want (or in our case need) to have sub sub (sub sub sub sub ...) categories.

we need to reproduce a more "complex" (= more then 1 level deep) assosiation organisation inside the forum.

guess more to come as we start heavily using it :)

ps.: when will v.0.1.1 go live (need to protect the whole forum from non-members/logged in users!!) ?
pps.: i just checked your (nitely) profile out and wanted to click on one of your comments to read the whole thread,
you posted the comment in. but there was no way to find out in which thread you posted it in, or just directly go there.
only hint is that you show the time when it was posted (where in generall, a tiny timestamp, date incl. minutes, beneath it would be rly awesome! )

nitely
Esteban C Borsani
  • 29 May '14

Hi, @derWalter

So, you want a categories page? That's on the way...
But I don't know how make it more obvious than it's now, maybe someone will make a theme that is more cluttered... but not me, I like the minimalist style as you may notice.

it would also be very helpfull if i would see the full path to the sub categorie and not only the parents name.

I don't see how that can be achieved without generating a very long category list

the option to use usergroups to give access to certain categories (otherwise those should stay hidden) [...] it would be nice if there wasnt a limit for child nesting

Maybe... I rather focus in what most people will make use of first.

ps.: when will v.0.1.1 go live (need to protect the whole forum from non-members/logged in users!!) ?

You can pull the future branch right now, it's stable. Spirit v.0.1.1 will be released in 10 days from now.

pps.: i just checked your (nitely) profile out and wanted to click on one of your comments to read the whole thread,
you posted the comment in. but there was no way to find out in which thread you posted it in

I know I'll fix it soon.

D
  • 31 May '14

@nitely

Hi, @derWalter

But I don't know how make it more obvious than it's now, maybe someone will make a theme that is more cluttered... but not me, I like the minimalist style as you may notice.

i dont like it
i LOVE it!
but there has to be a clever way to make it more obvios than a single word on top :/

the option to use usergroups to give access to certain categories (otherwise those should stay hidden) [...]
i guess you are already working on that? user groups and access lists?
remember that i saw something in the roadmap thread...

it would be nice if there wasnt a limit for child nesting

Maybe... I rather focus in what most people will make use of first.

is it that hard to enable? i thought you just have to remove the "is children" check when adding a new parent.

You can pull the future branch right now, it's stable. Spirit v.0.1.1 will be released in 10 days from now.

you posted the comment in. but there was no way to find out in which thread you posted it in

I know I'll fix it soon.

i am not a dev, just someone from a collective whos using software a lot :)
but i think i ve a general understanding of software developing and
networking

D
  • 12 Jun '14

back again :)

so what are your plans for the next release and whats the schedule?

i would like to disable public registration or have an moderation option to admin activate newly registered users before they have access to the forum.

an option to give users access to certain categories is also mandatory

not missing anything else right now :) (but deeper category trees :)!! )

working on translation now :)!!

nitely
Esteban C Borsani
  • 12 Jun '14

@derWalter

so what are your plans for the next release and whats the schedule?

Whatever needs to be done is here... I'll usually release a new version every month.

There is a bunch of things I can't do coz they require database migrations... and that's coming in django 1.7 (don't want to use south).

i would like to disable public registration or have an moderation option to admin activate newly registered users before they have access to the forum.

I think that'd be easy to implement. An option to disable email activation will do.

an option to give users access to certain categories is also mandatory

That one requires user groups and that's far in the distance
Or maybe I can add individual access to certain category, not sure...

D
  • 13 Jun '14

well the problem right now is, we are an organisation consisting of several organisation-circles,
it would be nice to add ppl to a group, that just members who belong to that group can access their own sub categories.
but well, thats not such a big deal at the moment.

an other problem is bothering way more: we are doing a project which is opened to the public, but requires internal
communication in the group.

if i would publish the link to our forum, everyone could register and see our whole internal communication.
talks about finances and expansion strategies, people wo want to join in the organisation would see the
discussion going on about themself and so forth :D

ofc i could just change everything into private topics, but i dont even know all the nicknames of our members,
as some of them havent even written yet. also i would have to add them constantly to all of the private topics,
especially if someone registeres the first time.

(when i wrote this i didnt see that its allready in the roadmap, but i didnt cut it out as i was quite fascinated by this idea myself :D)

but maybe i have an idea which is easy to implement and solves the problem as well: private categories

i guess thats easy to implement (as i hope you can copy paste most of the code from topics to categries) and
serves the same purpose.

btw, it would be nice to have the option to change a topic to a private one, otherwise one would have to create a private topic, move all the posts into it and invite all attending ppl.

and while talking about creating private topics, its quite hard to add members right now. i need to open other tabs to search trough the forum, to find posts of the person i am looking for to get their nicknames right :D - i guess this will come at last with search-autocomplete?

wishlist from the roadmap:

• private catogries
  • polls
  • email-notifications
  • drag and drop attachments (not only images, text and calc files are important too :) basically every filetype would be nice to have ^^)
  • category list
  • relate to topics

as we are really happy with the design and functinallity we dont need templates or plugins right now ^^
and as we are working more or less in the "underground" (sounds so strange ^^) we dont need social integration either :DDD

nitely
Esteban C Borsani
  • 18 Jun '14

@derWalter

if i would publish the link to our forum, everyone could register and see our whole internal communication.
talks about finances and expansion strategies, people wo want to join in the organisation would see the
discussion going on about themself and so forth :D

Manual activation will be implemented soon, no worries.

but maybe i have an idea which is easy to implement and solves the problem as well: private categories

i guess thats easy to implement (as i hope you can copy paste most of the code from topics to categries) and
serves the same purpose.

Don't know if it's easy or not, but it requires a lot of thinking to get right. More importatly it requires a database migration, since I'd have to add some fields to the database, I'm waiting on Django 1.7 which comes with built-in migrations support.

and while talking about creating private topics, its quite hard to add members right now. i need to open other tabs to search trough the forum, to find posts of the person i am looking for to get their nicknames right :D - i guess this will come at last with search-autocomplete?

That's a really cool idea, autocompletion based on user names and real names , love it!
On mentions too!

D
  • 25 Jul '14
  • what about making URLs clickable by default (but leave the actuall system,where i can define a text to click on for an url, in!!!)
  • add some more text format option underline,striketrough, align centered or left, when creating text (at least underline please :D )
  • add textformat options also when editing a post!
  • add a "?" symbol to the formating options, which when clicked, pops up a text formating and smiley reference (which is needed if you dont use the forum on every day basis and to memorize the code u need most)
nitely
Esteban C Borsani
  • 26 Jul '14

I say yes to all of the above!

• add some more text format option underline,striketrough, align centered or left, when creating text (at least underline please :D )

About this... sadly, markdown does not support any of those formats... that's why they are not available right now. Some people had come up with their own syntax (ie: ~striketrough~, ->align center<-). I'll follow the same path, I guess.

• add textformat options also when editing a post!

I did it some weeks ago

I'm finishing up some stuff before releasing Spirit 0.1.2. This new formatting options will be available in Spirit 0.2.1 (four weeks from now).

D
  • 29 Jul '14

cool :) any news on private categories ;))
and the auto url->link conversion?

is thera a way to actively support development,
without being able to code?

walter

nitely
Esteban C Borsani
  • 29 Jul '14

@derWalter

cool :) any news on private categories ;))

Django 1.7 is almost there, I will add private categories soon after it's out.

and the auto url->link conversion?

I will do it ASAP, no worries

is thera a way to actively support development,
without being able to code?

Translating . I can also offer you a Spirit instance starting at 5USD/month.

D
  • 29 Jul '14

@nitely

I've seen this done on a couple forums and I like the idea of having the categories in a sidebar. Maybe even a different color for each category? I personally like the single button on top (I'd probably make it a button with a different background color to make it stand out) but I also like them listed in a sidebar too just so they're all right there for everyone to see. Something like this: ForumEngine

nitely
Esteban C Borsani
  • 29 Jul '14

I dunno about the sidebar... but I'm digging the color thingy

D
  • 29 Jul '14

@nitely

I dunno about the sidebar... but I'm digging the color thingy

Cool. Yeah I assume if people wanted categories in the sidebar, that's not too difficult to customize. I'm fine with them being on top though. Keep things neat.

D
  • 30 Jul '14

the idea and how they implemented it!
the only thing i dont like on their implementation on the frontpage is,
that the colour thingies in the actuall post description
(e.g.: New Sidebars and Widgets for ForumEngine v1.1.2
Updated 5 days ago in Job Posting . Last reply by admindemo. 3 1)
is always after the timestamp, i would rather

• put it on the pole position
  • dont add the name of the category itself next to it - as its the only coloured thing on the page and an index with names will hopefulle be on a sidebar anyways
  • make it a link, so onMouseUp you end up in the according categories

(and an other thing about the categories on forumengine-theme,
the forum statistics ruin the whole page in my oppinion, they are so over-present,
that i didnt even SEE the categories-list and the forum statistics, dont deliver any
really important information, so they deserve such a dominant and heavy position.

• what i wanted to say is, without the "forum statistics" container, the categories would blast out
    compared to now and work way better)

ah, btw, why is there no donate button?!?!?!?!
we dont need saas, by no way, but we need good and free software!
(we pay for our vm as its way cheaper instead of renting all that software saas)

and dont let you get stressed by me pls :////
all i want is a roadmap with according dates,
so i can focus my anticipation on certain "deadlines" :D

nitely
Esteban C Borsani
  • 30 Jul '14

Well, I think the color hint won't work if you have many categories. I mean, if you have 2 categories you can tell which category is which at a glance, but if you have 20...

I think that's the point of having color hints anyway.

the forum statistics ruin the whole page in my oppinion

I agree. Also, I think It would be better not to show the sidebar inside of a topic.

ah, btw, why is there no donate button?!?!?!?!
we dont need saas, by no way, but we need good and free software!
(we pay for our vm as its way cheaper instead of renting all that software saas)

Fair enough. I won't accept donations because money is not the reason I started this project, I would have developed something more profitable otherwise . I do plan to offer hosting service at some point.

and dont let you get stressed by me pls :////
all i want is a roadmap with according dates,
so i can focus my anticipation on certain "deadlines" :D

I can't really give you an ETA, since I work in whatever feels right at that moment. And even if I would, I probably won't deliver on time

D
  • 30 Jul '14

@derWalter

(and an other thing about the categories on forumengine-theme,
the forum statistics ruin the whole page in my oppinion, they are so over-present,

I agree. I don't care for the forum stats being so evident in the sidebar. To me, they're really not THAT important that they need such a prominent spot. Placing categories there so they stick out better might be a better option.

@nitely

Well, I think the color hint won't work if you have many categories. I mean, if you have 2 categories you can tell which category is which at a glance, but if you have 20...

I agree with this. Colors only work when you've got maybe less than 10 categories. You kind of run out of colors and they lose their meaning when you get a bunch.

D
  • 30 Jul '14

well maybe if you have a sub category then you have two color fields next to each other,
so you absolutely dont get it when you land on the page the first time :D

but once you get used to it (and thats the important fact!) its instant information.
i dont know if there is an intuitive system that works for newbies and powerusers as well.

new ppl or ppl who are not using a/the forum a lot, will get overwhelmed
irrespective of the kind of information.

nitely
Esteban C Borsani
  • 1 Aug '14

That's a good point. I guess if you are interested in a couple categories it may help you to quickly search through the topic list.
If it changes the category name color, it would not be too noisy anyway