Questions about integration and Django version support

• 13 Nov '15

Hello,
I came across Spirit because I was looking for a modern-looking forum app for Django. I'd like to ask a few questions.

• Can Spirit be integrated in an existing project, so its UI is perfectly embedded, and users don't need to create a new account?
  • Is it possible to backport it to work with Django 1.4? I'm willing to do the work, but I would like to know if it's a reasonable possibility or it's too much work.
  • If it can't be backported, is it possible that I would now run Spirit completely separately from my website, and then, at a later time, when my website is on Django >= 1.8, embed Spirit into it preserving all its data?
  • Does it support OpenID authentication? My website provides OAuth, so if I need to set up Spirit separately at first, I would like to disable local logins and only allow OpenID.

Thanks!

nitelyEsteban Castro Borsani
  • 13 Nov '15

HI,

Can Spirit be integrated in an existing project, so its UI is perfectly embedded, and users don't need to create a new account?

Yes.

Is it possible to backport it to work with Django 1.4? I'm willing to do the work, but I would like to know if it's a reasonable possibility or it's too much work.

It's too much work and I really mean it, it would be faster to start from scratch. BTW, Django 1.4 is no longer supported by the Django team/community/foundation.

If it can't be backported, is it possible that I would now run Spirit completely separately from my website,

uhm, you would lose the first point (sharing the same user base). I doubt you can share the same database since there were some schema changes beetwen 1.4 and 1.8.

and then, at a later time, when my website is on Django >= 1.8, embed Spirit into it preserving all its data?

Probably yes. You will have to migrate all the Spirit (+ django's content_type) data to your project database, exporting/importing all of the Spirit tables.

Does it support OpenID authentication?

No, not out the box. You would have to install some django app and override the auth url.

• 13 Nov '15

Thanks for the reply.

@nitely said:

If it can't be backported, is it possible that I would now run Spirit completely separately from my website,

uhm, you would lose the first point (sharing the same user base). I doubt you can share the same database since there were some schema changes beetwen 1.4 and 1.8.

What if I only allowed OpenID authentication, so that when the time comes to migrate to an embedded version of Spirit, I could match the Spirit users with my website's users and merge? (we're talking about 15,000 users)

• 13 Nov '15

I could match the Spirit users with my website's users

I don't think that's viable. Spirit users ids won't match your project users ids, so all relations from other models/tables to such users will be incorrect (ie: for topics, comments, polls, notifications, profiles and many more).

• 13 Nov '15

But so long as the username or email matches, I could write a script that does all the translations, no?

• 13 Nov '15

I guess... you will have to make a data migration for every Spirit model and create a profile record for those that have no match. Going through every app/sub-app model requires some work, though, there are more than 20 of them.