Just checking out this forum

E
  • 14 Jul '20

I want to design forum just like this one. Any advise on how to go about it?

nitely
Esteban C Borsani
  • 14 Jul '20

What do you mean by "design"? Do you mean setup your own Spirit instance in some host/VPS/cloud?

E
  • 24 Aug '20

Yes, is there a documentation that I can use to set this up?

nitely
Esteban C Borsani
  • 24 Aug '20

No, there is not. If you know how to deploy a Django project, then you know how to deploy Spirit. There are plenty of tutorials out there for every possible cloud/VPS/hosting. The local installation instructions is all there is, and all you should need to get started.

That said, if all you want is to push a button and get Spirit deployed, then try spirit-heroku. I believe that still works. Heroku is pretty expensive, though, but you can try it for free.

E
  • 24 Aug '20

Thank you!

A
  • 20 Nov '20

Does a forum post has a delete button ?

nitely
Esteban C Borsani
  • 20 Nov '20

Admin/mods can delete a post. Regular users cannot.

A
  • 23 Nov '20

@nitely, Hi thanks for the reply, I am actually designing a forum like this in Django from scratch. Is there any list of features available so that I can implement all the necessary features in my forum app?
Thanks

A
  • 1 Dec '20

Hi @nitely, thanks for the reply. I have a question regarding marking comments as read. I am currently marking comments as read when a user visits a topic. Is there any better method to Implement this?

nitely
Esteban C Borsani
  • 1 Dec '20

@agentx, for bookmarking?, I save the first comment when a page is visited (because the user may have JS disabled), and then save the rest using JS and the waypoints library. To mark a notification as read, I do it when visiting the topic.

A
  • 3 Dec '20

@nitely, Hi thanks for the tips. Do you know the upper limit of topics and comments that the user can post in a day. Or you do have a mechanism for preventing spam?

nitely
Esteban C Borsani
  • 3 Dec '20

There's nothing built-in sadly. I rely on users reporting comments, and then delete them using the shell. There is a rate-limit but it only prevents post flooding. To prevent real spam (not from legit users) I'd like to create a system that flags users that have a low quantity of posts if they post links. I guess requiring mod/admin approval for the first few user messages would work for small forums too, and a queue where trusted users can approve messages would work for bigger forums (that's what stackoverflow does).

That doesn't stop bad users though. I like the slashdot moderation system: https://slashdot.org/moderati… , but it' overkill for small/medium forums, which is what Spirit is going is to be used for anyway.

A
  • 5 Dec '20

okay, I have been trying to use this https://django-ratelimit.read… library for rate-limiting but it is not working. Any solution for that ?

nitely
Esteban C Borsani
  • 5 Dec '20

No idea, I implemented my own solution, and it's part of Spirit and undocumented. IIRC it's very similar to that library.