Anti-spam app/service?

• 1 Jun

Does anyone know a good python package or (preferably free) service that can be integrated and check for spam content? I have a bunch of users signing up manually, and then running some kind of bot that spams ads.

nitelyEsteban Castro Borsani
  • 1 Jun

There is http://www.stopforumspam.com a spammers database, you check the IP when user signups and it's free. There is also akismet that checks comments, so you could check comments for users that have no comments and deactivate their accounts. Lastly, you could just reject comments that contain links for new users (or users that have less than x comments).

• 1 Jun

The last option, how do you achieve it?

nitelyEsteban Castro Borsani
  • 1 Jun

I'm not sure haha. That would be a good feature, actually. I think it can be done by detecting links in the markdown parser, same way as the mentions are. Then just check the user.date_joined and the user.st.comments_count against some threshold. All of that can be done in the CommentForm.

• 1 Jun

I think it will be the best option, let the post that contains link be soft deleted, the admin can permanently delete it later.
And I don't think implementing it will be that hard.

• 1 Jun

stopforumspam.com looks great! I'll validate the email against their API and prevent registration if it fails. In my case there are no links in the comment, just SEO gibberish.