License question

G
  • 14 Sep

Do I have to cite Spirit in case I used it in my project?

Regards,

Anon

nitely
Esteban C Borsani

If you mean the "Spirit" link at the bottom, you can remove that, I don't care. If you mean redistributing the code as part of your software, then you are supposed to keep the LICENSE file that comes with the Spirit source code. Otherwise, no, you don't need to promote Spirit in any way.

G
  • 15 Sep

@nitely, I'm somewhat new to the Github community, may I ask this weird question, why do people publish their source code and let other people use it, for free, and in some cases, they don't require being credited for it!?

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate you, and many others, for creating such great projects and for publishing them for free, but you could've charged people or required them to credit you! I know its me who's missing something! I'm just trying to understand why.
I've been learning Django by reading through these public projects and I know how much time must've been put into these projects.
Again, thank you for your time and effort.

nitely
Esteban C Borsani

I was doing open source before github. I used to make php plugins for Simple Machines Forum. The reason I started doing OSS is because I needed functionality that was missing on that forum software, it was free, and I felt like I was giving back to that community. Nowadays, I still feel like I'm giving back as most of the software I use in my day job is OSS, but I've other reasons like working on something I really care about in my spare time. It's a hobby.

Why I don't care about credit, I think it's a different question. I just don't care about recognition much. I just want my code to be used by as many people as possible, and the best way to do that without making it a business, and spending time in things I don't like to do is to release it with one of the most permissive licenses out there.

I think everyone has their own reason to contribute to OSS. Some want to make it their job, get recognition, have more/better job opportunities, get the closest thing to job experience without it being a job, give back, and who knows what else.

G
  • 23 Sep

Oh man! I have a lot to learn before I can even think about reaching your level. You're an absolute legend.
All I can do is wish you the best and hope your dreams come true one day.
Thanks again