Post edits

4na4silvestris
  • 12 Aug '14

In real world some users delete their content. It should be possible to disable post editing after x days.

I think this can easily be achieved with 'if' statement.
If postDaysCount < xdays:
postEdit

nitelyEsteban Castro Borsani
  • 7 Jun

There is a history of all comment modifications, so this should not be necessary. However, if I end up making some kind of topic archivation feature, then comments should be freezed when topic is archived.

• 9 Jun

Say you have 1 million posts on your forum, how do you go through all the comments?

• 9 Jun

I don't follow. Why are you asking that?

• 10 Jun

Because I think it's better to disable comments edit after some days than to allow it and having to go through them at the events of some scandals among the members. Many occasions have arises on the members denying the statements they makes earlier after some series if edits. Besides, most forums have the settings of turning off post edits after the given days in the settings. I also don't think it's a big deal, something that will not be more than five lines of codes. Thanks.

• 10 Jun

Many occasions have arises on the members denying the statements they makes earlier after some series if edits.

Well, comment history should fix that.

Because I think it's better to disable comments edit after some days than to allow it and having to go through them at the events of some scandals among the members.

I don't think disabling edition after some days would help. Maybe disabling edition completly would, or maybe disabling it after 5 minutes or so. But the cons of doing that greatly outweigh the pros. Why punish all users just coz a handful of users have bad behaviour?

I have seen many times users that update their comments (usually the first comment within a topic) and I'm more interested in supporting that use case than in crippling comments.

That said, I will try and add this feature (just coz it seems easy to implement, otherwise I would not). But it will be disabled by default.